Friday, September 7, 2012

Hubs Makes an Appearance and A Tasty Mouthgasm

I ended up taking yesterday as my rest day for this week. My body was telling me that it was time to take a day off.  I was pretty bummed about prospect of not running at first but I knew that if I did I would hate it the whole time I was running and I would be injured or in pain today. So I got over it...with the aid of good friends, tasty food and some cold beer.

So, Hubs called up our favorite couple (The Purcells) and made a stop by the beer store on his way home. We grilled-out some pork chops, made ranch style beans, and I threw together some oriental salad. ORIENTAL SALAD!! It's my hard core food love.

I realized as I was making it that I couldn't keep something so wonderfully delicious and semi-healthy to myself. So....prepare yourself for the mouthgasm that is oriental salad.


First: Make the dressing (2 T Sugar, Juice of 1 Lemon, 1 tsp. Sesame Seed Oil, 1/3 cup Canola Oil, 1 Oriental Ramen Seasoning Packet) Add all ingredients and mix well.

This is what a tastestravaganza explosion looks like when put in a measuring cup.
Hubs as "Sexy Kitchen Man" He can toss my salad any time. Rraarr.
Toast 3/4 cup sliced almonds at 450 for 10ish minutes while you chop up all the veggies.

In a large serving bowl combine: 1/2 head of chopped cabbage, 1 bunch of green onion chopped, 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1 bag crunched ramen noodles, 3/4 cup toasted almonds, and the dressing. (The cabbage is underneath everything in the pic)

Here is the finished product. Get me a freakin fork.
Here is the recipe:

Oriental Salad

Ingredients:

1/2 head of cabbage (chopped)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup toasted almonds
1 bunch green onions (chopped)
1 bag Oriental Ramen Noodles (crunched)

Dressing:
1 oriental seasoning packet (from the bag of ramen noodles)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 T sugar (you could try stevia or truvia)
1 tsp sesame seed oil
1/3 cup canola or veg oil

Wisk together all dressing indredients in a small bowl and set aside. Toast almonds at 450 for 10ish minutes. (Let the almonds cool before adding them into the salad or they will wilt the cabbage). Combine cabbage, carrots, almonds, green onions, and ramen into a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Observe minds being blown.

Projected Workout for Today:
  1. 4-5 Miles (Feeling optimistic)
  2. 15 Minutes - Arms (Depending on exhaustion level from run)
_____________________________
Please let me know what you think about the salad if you make it!!

Have any suggestions of making it more healthy? Please share!

If you are interested in following this site just click the join button on the right or entering you email address to follow that way.




No comments:

Post a Comment